Community & Economic Development
1420 Miner Street
Des Plaines, IL 60016
Director of Community & Economic Development
John Carlisle, AICP
Monday - Friday
8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Welcome to CED!
What information are you looking for?
The Community and Economic Development Department responsibilities include:
- Advise the Mayor and City Council on all matters affecting the growth, development, redevelopment, and overall planning of the City, including alignment with and updates to the City's Comprehensive Plan
- Review and issue building permits
- Provide inspections (building, health/sanitation, rental dwelling units)
- Perform planning and zoning functions
- Maintain and enforce building and property codes for residential and commercial properties
- Provide support to the Planning and Zoning Board
- Administer of Community Development Block Grant funds
- Support and manage economic development activities, including business retention and attraction and creating a vibrant marketplace by promoting available sites
- Support and manage business assistance programs
We encourage you to explore these pages to connect with resources and get answers to your planning, building, permit and economic development related questions.
If you need assistance in locating information or prefer to talk to someone on the phone, please give us a call at 847-391-5380. We are here to assist!
We welcome your feedback
The Department of Community and Economic Development (CED) welcomes your feedback! Please click the link below to take our short Customer Service Survey: