1420 Miner Street
Des Plaines, IL 60016
The City regulates businesses and issues registrations and licenses for businesses and other uses, as defined under City Code Title 4 Business Regulations.
Businesses are required to register with the City and renew their registration annually. The City requires business to display a current City-issued Business Registration Certificate in a prominent location in its place of business at all time.
The City issues licenses annually for the time period from Jan. 1 through Dec. 31. All applications for business registration and renewals must be filed with the City no later than Dec. 15 of each year. The City sends a renewal notice before this deadline each year.
- Register your business (checklist, fees, application)
The City requires additional licensing regulations for the following:
- Temporary (special) events- Includes certain events, seasonal retail locations, and occasional residential sales to ensure compliance with all zoning, building, fire, and health codes and any other applicable ordinances, and regulations and orders.
- Liquor control – a liquor license (approved by the mayor, as the City’s liquor control commissioner) is required to sell or offer for sale, alcoholic liquors in the city.
- Food service vehicles
- Firearms dealers
- Tobacco dealers
- Pawnbrokers and secondhand dealers
- Foreign fire insurance companies
- Daycare centers
- Massage establishments
- Public passenger vehicles
- Mobile home parks
- Adult uses
- Residential properties used for rentals
- Minimum hourly wage
- Body art establishments
- Occasional residential sales
Visit the Document Library for access to all forms and applications for the above licenses. Details on each of the above regulations are defined in separate chapters in City Code Title 4 Business Regulations.
We welcome your feedback
The Department of Community and Economic Development (CED) welcomes your feedback! Please click the link below to take our short Customer Service Survey: